Monday, July 7, 2014

Oh My English...

Posted by Lil' Sue at 7/07/2014 10:33:00 AM
Reactions: 

Early in the morning...En. Salam had started his morning lecture about slangs/accents and somebody in other government body. Everybody can hear him clearly. It crossed my mind about ME. Last Friday our trainee asked me:
"Are you the external examiner that came to our presentation last time? Because...your accent sounds familiar"..
Yes I was the one. Glad that she informed me that it was good experience and exposure to their batch. Me and my friend gave an assessment for their final project for Corporate Finance in UMS Labuan. The point was...she recognised me based on my accent. I was wondering, was it a good thing or bad thing.  I don't intend to speak with fake accent. I described my way of speaking english is in the mid of british and american slang. I just did what my teacher taught me. I would say that my pronunciation was hugely affected by my love of MUSIC. I still remember that my English teacher used to say. Do you listen to Mariah Carey? So u have to sound like the way she say every single word. She has very CLEAR pronounciation of 'R'. My love for art and music had helped me a lot. One thing for sure, If I speak Mandarin, Cantonese, Indonesian, Korean, Japanese, Arabic and even DUSUN, I sound like them. That is great to begin with. I always have passion about languages. Is it a good indication??? In school, during the class my friend did asked. 'How did you do that? I mean..the way you speak?". Looking back at it now, I was living in the suburb village. I did not have access to differentiate the English accents. I only have TV1 and TV2 to be watched. Some people might think that I am sooo weird for speaking like the way I speak now. I know I did not stay in London for years or even America. But last time, when my lecturer asked me where are you from?? Sabah, I replied. No wonder you sound different. Actually you sound like an American. (I don't even know I was speaking like an American. It was back in 2001).
Should I take it as a compliment?
I never set my foot in America. I think that was the price of being a TV addict. As long it is something to do with sound and languages, I think I am ok with it. It depends on an individual on how they utilise their tongue. So... I think I don't want to think much about my accent. I will just speak with the way I feel comfortable, it is not because I want to speak with FAKE accent, just because I believe it should be sounding that way. That's all.

0 comments:

 

Love, Live and Dream... Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review